Monday 30 September 2013

The start of travelling.. Belgium!

So this weekend I went to Belgium (and Brussels) for the first time. I went with a crew of Maastrichters - T'kia from Trinidad, Jose from Peru, our host Nelson from Belgium and the ever faithful roomie Thato. So we stayed at Nelsons house at Mechelen which is about a 40 minute train ride to Brussels. After finally arriving to nelsons house after missing 2 trains and having a mishap with train ticket prices his mother made one of my favourite dishes ever - Macaroni Cheese! So we setteled down early and watched a movie! On Saturday we visited the capital. What a City Brussels is! It is so beautiful...the architecture is absolutely incredible. We saw many of the sites including the Palace and the Manneken Pis (which is tiny). Oh and the best part...the waffles! The liege are my favourite, the brussels waffels taste like air, but the Liege are just so delicious. Our host family - The Hensmans were so lovely and Nelsons mum's food was so much better than boarding house food...but there's hardly any competition really. We also visited Antwerp on Sunday, our visit was very rushed as we had to get back to school by a certain time, but I will definitely visit again! There are just so many shops and cool places to hang out. We visited a tiny funky cafe and Thato and I had bubble tea for the first time (Pineapple and yoghurt flavour). We also visited a small market, where I had the shock of my life when you could buy a rabbit or a tortoise for less than an umbrella. The weekend was awesome, just expensive and stressful!


In other news I've swapped my history to geography because the course looks far more interesting. And....I've decided (after my parents) agreeing that for my project week I'm going to Kosovo! 

No comments:

Post a Comment